So, once again, I need to back off on the carbs after my winter binge. I ate mostly everything that people put in front of me because 1.) I don’t want to offend anybody 2.) I don’t want people to think that I don’t eat 3.) Everything was delicious. (#2 was probably mostly true when I was in college, 20-30 pounds lighter & a size zero).
Anyway, I need to start preparing for bathing suit season & one of my friends’ weddings in September. Yes, I start early. Finding delicious low-carb breakfast options can be challenging. Here are a few of my favorites:
1. Southwestern Frittata. I made this one today, but made a couple of substitutions: I took out a few egg yolks, used fresh salsa instead of salsa verde, taco seasoning instead of chili pepper and cumin, and added some cayenne pepper for heat. Now I have breakfast for the next couple of days! I accidentally used yams instead of sweet potatoes before, and I would recommend using yams if you’d like your frittata a little sweeter.
2. A variation of these oatmeal protein pancakes. Main ingredients include: egg whites, oats, vanilla extract, cinnamon & pumpkin pie spice. I drizzled some maple syrup over the pancakes to sweeten them. I made them for the first time this week, and thought they were fantastic. I love the texture with the oats so I only mixed the ingredients, but you’re supposed to blend everything together to get a smooth batter. You can also try adding other types of fruit like bananas or blueberries.
3. Greek yogurt with berries (blue berries, raspberries, blackberries) – I am completely obsessed with greek yogurt and anything, so I also eat this as a snack.
4. A variation of this green lemonade:
- 5-6 romaine lettuce leaves
- 3-4 stalks of kale
- 3-4 stalks of celery
- handful of spinach
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1 apple
- 1 lemon (without skin & juiced w/a citrus juicer)
If you want a sweeter juice, you an add an extra apple. Otherwise, this is one of my favorite green juices & a fantastic substitute for coffee in the morning. I make this at least a couple of times a week.
5. These sweet potato latkes topped with eggs & bacon. Who doesn’t love bacon? I actually have leftover sweet potato from the frittata I made this morning, and bacon in the freezer from several weeks ago, so I’m going to make these tomorrow morning. I recommend eating the bacon sparingly, since it’s basically all fat.
What are your favorite low-carb breakfasts? Add your recipes or links to recipes in the comments! I would love to hear them.